Job title: Animal Care Associate
Reports to: Animal Care Manager
FLSA Status: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Employment Status: Full-time regular
Starting Wage: $13.40/hour
Summary of Responsibilities
The Animal Care Associate is a key member of the operations team, and part of a talented and dynamic team of Animal Care experts. Animal Care Associates provide are responsible for cleaning, feeding, ensuring a hygienic and comfortable living environment, and providing daily enrichment for the pets in our care. Animal Care Associates monitor behavioral and medical health, reporting any issues to appropriate staff, and serve as primary adoption counsellors.
- Cleans and sanitizes kennels, cages, equipment, rooms, and common spaces according to MHHS’ protocols
- Feeds, grooms, exercises, socializes, and trains the animals in our care
- Ensures housetrained and “staff only” animals are walked each day, and that animals on quarantine are handled only by appropriate staff
- Provides medical support care, as needed, including restraint during medical procedures
- Completes monitoring sheets on a daily basis to help ensure pets needs are met
- Provides ongoing behavioral and medical feedback to the Director of Behavior and Enrichment and the Animal Logistics Manger
- Organizes and stocks holding rooms and adoption floors daily to ensure continued productivity
- Washes laundry and dishes throughout the day
- Maintains the kitchens in safe, clean, uncluttered condition
- Prepares the next day’s morning enrichment each evening
- Efficiently uses Animal Management Software
- Introduces pets to potential adopters and to other animals in the household, as appropriate
- Determines suitability of match between potential adopter and pet based on lifestyle and the needs of the pet
- Follows safe handling practices at all times
- Remains flexible in times of change
- Works well as part of a team, asking for and providing help freely
- Serves on Animal Response Team as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma /GED or two years of consistent work experience
- Strong computer skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Valid NYS driver’s license
- No medical restrictions to animal contact
- Ability to handle animals of all temperaments, including those who are aggressive and/or ill
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position is regularly required to use hands and fingers, talk and hear.
- The incumbent is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, and stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- The position holder must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 40lbs.
- Specific vision abilities for this position include close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to focus.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The hours for this position are normally 9 am – 5: 30 pm, five days per week.
- The ability and willingness to work on holidays is required, as animals require daily care.
- Work will take place in a variety of environments including medical offices, administrative offices, operational areas, and offsite, including outdoors.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, and hearing protection is available where noise exceeds acceptable levels.
- While performing the duties of this job, the position will be exposed to animal odors, animal wastes, chemical cleaning agents, and airborne particles